2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Active dry yeast: Instant yeast
All-purpose flour: Bread flour
Olive oil: Vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, I combine the active dry yeast, sugar, and warm water. I stir gently and let it sit for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, I combine the all-purpose flour and salt, making a well in the center.
- I pour the yeast mixture and olive oil into the well and stir together with a spoon until the dough starts to come together.
- I transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- I place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel. I allow it to rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Once the dough has risen, I punch it down to release any air bubbles. I divide the dough in half if I prefer a thin crust or use the entire dough for a thicker crust.
- I roll out the dough on a floured surface into my desired thickness and shape.
- I transfer the dough to a baking sheet or pizza stone lined with parchment paper.
- I preheat the oven to 475°F (245°C) and let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.
- I add my favorite pizza toppings and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.